Department of cataloging and classification
The cataloging and classification section is an important section of the library. It is concerned with the organization of groups according to a particular system and with accordance to the rules and procedures of scientific classification. The Section uses one of the global integrated systems for organizing, storing, and retrieving information, (Horizon); the section performs the following tasks:
Technical preparation of the sources of information and the work of technical procedures for the cataloging, classification and indexing, for the purpose of easy access to the beneficiary for information sources that he/she wants.
• The library key is its index, since it is the guide to access the contents of the library. Therefore, the existence of the holdings that have been indexed and categorized accurately and comprehensively with the existence of key and additional entries to the title, subject, and author to facilitate access is very important, so it is the section that responsible for maintenance and control of automatic index.
• Addressing the problems of the barcode number or any difficulty the recipient encounters in obtaining it.
• Print lists of specific titles or topics, or as required.
The university libraries are supplied through the purchase from exhibitions and the various books houses at home and abroad, as well as through donation, exchanging, and depositing from individuals and institutions as well as scientific researches. This section has various functions and specialization, including:
– Work on the development of information sources and the provision of various library materials in the university libraries through supplying.
– Check the lists of books received from colleges at the university and work on indexing it to avoid repetition.
– Check the lists of books received from publishing and exhibitions houses to determine the titles that intended to be purchased.
– Receipt of materials supplied to the library through purchase, donation, or exchange, and then distributed to the central library and sub-libraries.
– Preparation of statistics related to the materials provided to the university libraries.
– Coordination between the Department of provision and other sections of the Deanship, both in terms of cataloging and classification.
Lending and Beneficiary Services Section
The loan is one of the most important services provided by the libraries to the beneficiaries, and it measures the effectiveness of the library and is often supervised by an employee who records the material before issuing it to the borrower and confirming it if returned by the beneficiary. Functions of the lending department and beneficiary services:
1. Handling the borrowed material that the beneficiary requests outside the library for reading at his home or any other place.
2 – Renewal of borrowed materials that have expired loaned and the borrowers are still in need, and usually the Deanship allows renewing the same book once again.
3 – Reserving books when retrieved for some of the beneficiaries who are in urgent need of them.
4 – Following-up of the delayed material and remind the borrowers by contacting them by telephone.
5 – Responding to queries of visitors to the library of students and researchers at the direct visit.
Technical Support Unit
A specialized unit comprising a number of qualified personnel in the field of information technology. The following tasks are performed in the technical support unit
• Supervising and monitoring the data entry process in HORIZON system database.
• Maintain system failures, and perform database backup.
• Provide technical support to the library staff.Currently, the digital content system of the University of Science and Technology (D-space) has been installed. A system manages the digital content and provides electronic resources such as books, periodicals, university dissertations, workshops, seminars, etc. Currently, the process of entering on the system and then provide access to the digital repository via the official site of the University of Science and Technology and the horizon system continues to be converted to the Kuhai system – it is a free, open source system that is easily accessible through the university page