The organization of boards and committees is the main support for the flow of work at university. The Board of Trustees comes on top, to be followed by the Academic Board, Faculty Boards besides the Councils of the different institutions and centers. The committees include: The Financial and Administrative Committee, the Postgraduate Studies Committee, the Higher Committee for Scientific Research and Cultural Relations, and The Higher Committee for Extra-curriculum Activities. All these are considered as the base for academic and administrative authority.
The Functions of UST Administration
The higher administration comprises: The President who is the top executive responsible for maintaining discipline and implanting the soul of amiability and intimacy among all staff members. The vice president is totally delegated to run all academic affairs. The hierarchy then includes the vice president for administrative and financial affairs, and the vice president for scientific research and cultural relations. Thus decisions flow from the top of this hierarchy to the deputies, deans, and the academic affairs secretary, all running their responsibilities directly or through a delegation stipulated in the regulations of the university. The organization of all these bodies depends on the rules and regulations emanating from these regions. These boards and committees are formed from highly qualified and competent scientific cadres of high caliber from inside and outside the university.
UST Administration Comprises:
About the University:
Since its establishment in 1995,the University of Science & Technology has aimed to widen the base of computer & application sciences starting with the programs of the IT, computer sciences, & computer engineering that has recently changed to the (electric & electronic engineering) programs with its four sections (communication, medical engineering, electronic systems, the computer & programming), followed by medical laboratories & medicine. The series of medical sciences have almost been completed with the establishment of both dentistry & pharmacology programs.
Then, In chronological order, Architecture & Reclamation Program was established in 2000, which has now become a division of the Engineering Faculty to be followed in 2002 with the Administrative Science Program. Because of the close link of the University with the community & since the University’s early two years, the program of Medium Diplomas has been established before being changed to the Technological Studies & Community Advancement.
In response to the desired advancement, the college of Higher Studies, scientific Research & Academic Development was established in 2004, along with such specialized centers as the Aids Center, Intellectual Property Center & Capability Building, Population Center & Tissues & Cells Center. Recently, the Chemical Engineering Program has been established which shaped with the other divisions the College of Engineering.
The University of Science & Technology is located in 3 strategic locations that overlook old Omdurman City from the North, whereas people heading to the University from Khartoum North, through Shembat Bridge meet with people heading the same direction through White Nile Bridge before going on through the Inveterate districts of Omdurman up to the Administrative Science Complex followed by the Medical Complex before going Westward to the Engineering Complex.
Institutionalism of councils & committees is considered as one of the basic pillars of the University. At the top of this intuitionalism we find the Council of Trustees, Scientific Council & Councils of Colleges, Councils of institutes/centers & the Financial & the Administrative Committees, Higher Committee of Higher Studies & Higher Committee on Research & Cultural relations, Higher Committee of Activities & Culture as Basic Sources of academic & administrative authority in the regulation of the University of Science & Technology, whereas institutionalism depends upon regulations & systems resulting from the aforementioned sources that are made up of distinguished, high class owners of scientific efficiency in & out of the University.
It is care & quest towards an integrated University responding to the needs of society in terms of development by graduating qualified cadres to work in the fields of service, industry & production, thereby occupying a prominent position among its university counterparts in & out of the country.
Scientific Affairs Secretariat
The Scientific Affairs Secretariat works on developing & following up with the academic performance in the colleges, institutes & centers of the University & its other academic units in regard to the appointment, training & promotion of the University faculty members. The Secretariat’s work includes updating the curricular, examination systems, acceptance & enrollment, which are all carried out through coordinating with the colleges & centers.
Goals of the Scientific Affairs Secretariat
1. Enhancing the mechanisms within the Secretariat
2. The ideal exploitation of the University’s absorptive capacity, presenting all services to the students & University community by the easiest means through modern technologies coupled with achieving the largest amount of smoothness & flexibility in all procedures of joining & enrollment, all through modern technological means.
3. Attaining the trust of people & competent relative authorities who deal with the Secretariat in all administrative & administrative operations
4. To make sure of the classification of regulations, systems, instructions & decisions related to the organization of the academic issue with the goal of providing quality ideal & performance.
5. To support the operations of continuous academic development through guiding the operators of curricular design, implementing the educational plans, coordinating the examination activities & results in addition to choosing & training of teaching assistants & carrying out the necessary promotions of faculty members
Tasks of the Scientific Affairs Secretariat:
1. Supervising the works of the Scientific Council & its academic committees, following up with & implementing the decisions issued by the same Council & preserving the relevant information & records.
2. Supervising the acceptance & enrollment of new students, carrying out the procedures of accepting the students after the first year, including transfer, bridging & acceptance of mature students; preserving the students’ registers in an organized manner, in paper or electronically; extracting labels for University students & being acquainted with the academic track of students in addition to motivating outstanding students. The tasks also include carrying out the duties of institutional relationship with the General Administration of the Ministry of Education, duly endorsing the registration of new Sudanese & foreign students & extraction of the University ID (tasks of the University Acceptance Office)
3. To supervise the academic digital content, computerize the phase & final result & to coordinate the graduates’ results with the College Registrar in digital & paper form & content required by the Ministry of Higher Education.
4. Extraction of cartoon certificates & reports, making sure of the authenticity of Diploma, B.sc & High Education certificates by auditing & revising & signing on the certificates before preserving their relative records.
5. Following up with the policies & decisions of the Ministry of Higher Education & Scientific Research in regard to the academic aspect.
6. Following up with the educational evaluation in all colleges
7. Setting up the University Guide & participating in scientific publications of magazines & other publications.
8. Setting up & organizing the possibilities of annual graduation, strengthening the relations with University graduates & monitoring the graduates’ post-graduation scientific & career tracks.
9. To supervise, in cooperation with the College of Higher Studies & Academic Development, teaching assistants & faculty members in & out of Sudan.
10. Setting up & supervising the procedures related to the promotion of the faculty members.
Values & ethics of the Scientific Affairs Secretariat:
1. Being fair in dealing with service receivers without discrimination on the bases of sex or educational/social level in accordance with our religion & commitment to ethics of the profession
2. Transparency & clearness with the student or service receiver regarding his/her rights & obligations in a way that assures a stable academic life for them
3. Adoption of modern technology in all administrative & academic work.
Suggestions of the Scientific Affairs Secretariat
1. Acceptance & enrolment office “first year”
2. Office of the examinations, results & certificates
3. Office of the Scientific council & academic committees
4. Acceptance Office after the first year “transfer, bridging & acceptance of mature students” in addition to verification of the university ID”
5. Office of registering deportees, freezing, resignations, student cases & competent authorities.
6. Graduates’ Affairs Office
7. Scientific Relations Office
8. Office of Statistics, Information & Training
9. Administrative Services Office
10. Office of Self-Evaluation & quality under the umbrella & support of the University Presidency.
About the Personnel Administration:
It is considered as one of the most important administrations in the University for the role it carries out, which is summarized in the following:-
1. Objectivity in choosing the workers
2. Ideal use of workers
3. Establishing rational policies in treating the workers
Functions of the Administration:
1. Planning for workers
2. Electing & appointing
3. Promotions, transfer & end of servicer procedures
4. Participation in setting up the wages & periodically surveying them
1. Presenting consultative advice & giving sound opinions in all matters related to Personnel Affairs
2. Executive competences related to employees within the Management & other employees of the University. This is carried out by the application of terms of service & bringing the employees to accountability.
The Management Workforce:
o Mr. Jamal Tallet Abdussalam Mustafa Administration Director
o Mr. Mohamed Hatim Mehjoob Musa Vice Administration Director
o Miss. Mezahir Mohamed Hussain Abdulla Assistant Administrator
o Miss. Sana Salih Ibrhiam Salih Assistant Administrator
Management of Graduates’ Affairs
The Management of Graduates’Affairs is one of the administrations belonging to the Scientific Affairs Secretariat (SAS) in the University of Science & Technology (UST). This role of this Administration is based on sustaining the relations between the University & graduates by constructing various channels of contact, communication & cooperation aimed at serving the graduates, University & local community. It is also aimed at granting distinguished graduates opportunities of participating in the programs of the University. To match the University’s mission of graduating qualified students capable of fulfilling the various needs of various fields of activity, the Liaison Office of the University takes interest in creating a strong & effective relation between the University & its graduates & between the University & society. This Office also helps in limiting the problem of unemployment, through harmonization between the educational output & demands of the work market by holding research studies of the work market to present recommendations to develop & improve academic programs of the University to make them compatible with the demands of work market.
Tasks of the Graduates’ Affairs Office:
* Participation in the graduation ceremony
* Available vacancy announcements & encouraging the students to benefit from them
* Helping the graduates to get scholarships for higher studies.
* Holding an annual conference for the graduates
* Contributing in the evaluation of the various studies through feedback from graduates in the work market & contribution in training & employing the graduates.
The buildings of the University include 92 lecture halls, 48 laboratories that serve the medical science colleges & 34 laboratories that serve the Engineering College, Computer Sciences College & the IT College at the Western location. Added to them are the computer centers, Main Library in Elshingieti, Medical Exhibition & the Morgue, which has been constructed with international specifications & the Dental Hospital in the north of Omdurman & considered as one of the prominent landmarks of Omdurman.
The University Environment
Having completed the infrastructure, under accurate supervision of the University Administration, structured the buildings containing lecture halls & laboratories, provided the elements assisting the lecturing operation & having completed the fundamental academic bases of the University in regard to colleges of the University & colleges expected to be constructed during the upcoming phase, the Administration of the University has now provided & furnished the main, digital & traditional libraries & equipped their halls with modern machines & equipment. The Administration has also been careful to grow trees, establish gardens & set up canopies & cafeterias in the University, with the latter providing high class service to students. Further, the Administration has distributed water coolers in the different parts of the University, not to mention the provision of playgrounds for sports for such games as basket ball, volley ball, football, billiards, etc.
Wide spaces have been allocated to theatres through which the creativity & activities of the students are displayed. Music & other artistic creativity halls have also been provided. The University Administration has also taken care of setting up the ideal university environment that helps the student in integrated academic learning, of other creative aspects of the student in the various fields of art, culture, sports, the society, etc.
The UST has been established with the aim of widening the base of computer & application sciences, starting with the programs of the IT, computer sciences & computer engineering that subsequently changed to (electric & electronic engineering) with its four sections of (communication, medical engineering, electronic systems & the computer), followed by the medical laboratories & medicine. The range of medical colleges has almost been completed with the construction of both dental medicine & pharmacology programs, followed by the program of Architecture & Reclamation Program, which has been become a section of the College of Engineering & followed by the Administration Science Program.
For the close connection of the University with the society, & during the University’s first two years establishment, the Medium Diplomas Program was set up & subsequently named the “Technological Studies & Society Enhancement Program”. In response to the desired development, the College of Higher Studies, Academic Development & Career Centers has been established as a center for diseased tissues & cells, aids research & Malaria research, modern agricultural technologies & information, English languages services & promotion of the performance of teaching corporations, electronic learning & distance education, studies of population & development & Omdurmanic studies.
Since its establishment, the University has drawn a strong & clear track of moving forward. With firm, organized steps, the University is still going forward on the same track. Today, the University is standing tall on four integrated complexes extending on the strip of Thora City, on its main streets, north of Omdurman; on Elshingieti Street & Un-nus Street in the west & Elwadi Street in the east; the complexes are of the Engineering Sciences, Health Sciences, Computer Sciences & the IT & of the Administrative Sciences.
Engineering Sciences Complex:
It is located north of Omdurman Great Garden at the entrance of El-thora City on Elshingieti Street on a space of 25000sqm. The halls, laboratories & administration buildings are made up of four stories including the engineering colleges with their different majors of engineering, electronic systems programming, architecture & reclamation engineering, & communication engineering, chemical engineering & medical engineering, electronic systems engineering & the computer & civil engineering. There is also the Computer Center, Knowledge City that includes the most modern digital library & an international hall of conferences. The complex also includes the Deanship of Student Affairs, with its different cultural, sports & social secretariats, music & training halls, yards for basket ball & volley ball which are all concerned with developing the capabilities, gifts & creativity of the student. This huge complex also includes the Administration of Admission, fees & student Card at the eastern side & the mosque of the Complex. Added to them are the gardens, rest houses of students, teachers & administrators.
Complex of computer sciences & the IT:
This is located south of the Engineering Sciences, also on Shingieiti Street whereas one road separates between them both. This complex extends on a space of about (10.000sqm) & it has been constructed by the system of 4 stories that include lecture halls, laboratories, administrative offices, rest-houses & libraries. It also includes the colleges of computer sciences, IT, information systems & communication. This complex has been constructed at the best style to be compatible with the scientific leap & to provide the best environment of academic learning.
Medical & Health Sciences Complex:
This complex has been constructed on a space of about (20.000) in a unique, high class, geometric style with a number of multiple stories accommodating the colleges of Medicine, Surgery, Dentistry, Medical Sciences & pharmacology in addition to a large number of laboratories, lecture halls & libraries, medical museum & the morgue, administrative offices & rest-houses, workshops & the prayer place of the complex, offices of the University presidency/representatives & conferences halls & the Technology Educational Dental Specialized charity Hospital.
Administrative Sciences Complex:
It is located within a space of about (10.000sqm) west of the third main street further from the entrance of El-Thora City which is Wadi Street. The Complex is made up of four stories including all divisions of the faculty of Administrative Sciences represented in accounting, business management & project management, financial management & marketing, hotel management & tourism & hospital management in addition to the laboratory, administrative offices & rest-houses, cafeterias, prayer-places, etc. This Complex is characterized by a library constructed at the most modern style in multiple stories; it includes the digital & traditional libraries.